Genderforce is a global non-political, not-for-profit and non-religious women’s security organization. Our headquarter is in Belgium and we are registered in the United Kingdom as a Community Interest Company. Genderforce is established as a gender balanced security organization in regards to both its activities and in its construction.
Until now society has not had a clear and comprehensive solution for fighting and preventing acts of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in conflict and post-conflict situations. When training and awareness raising just isn’t enough to prevent these atrocities, sometimes the only suitable response to severe misdoings and threats is through deployment of a professional security organization.
Our vision is a world where women and men are equal with zero Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV).
We believe that every man och every woman is equal and should have the rights to fulfill their future according to their fullest potential, free from oppression and violence in any shape and form. We acknowledge that the most important strategy for achieving gender equality and human rights for all is to empower women and support their full participation. In order to accomplish this goal – women and girls in vulnerable situations needs protection and prevention just as much as they need other bare necessities.
Our mission is to:
- prevent and combat acts of SGBV;
- create an environment where women and girls are protected from SGBV aimed specifically at them or towards actors working for their empowerment, where the perpetrators of such violence are brought to justice; and
- support women’s empowerment and equal participation, through increased security and limitation of risks, that leads to moderation and accelerated conflict resolution.
Strategy and Goals
Our key strategy is to focus on prevention and protection by ensuring that the security and safety of women and girls in dangerous situations is addressed before violations take place. SGBV is not only a security problem for individual women and girls, but a security problem for society as a whole.
We aim to work in the world’s most volatile places during conflict and in post-conflict situations. It is in conflict-afflicted countries where the situation for women and girls is the worst – where SGBV against women and girls have the potential of reaching epidemic scales, severely impacts the whole society and hampers conflict resolution. Genderforce works in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions 1325 (2000), 1820 (2008), 1888 (2009), 1889 (2009), 1960 (2010), 2106 (2013), 2122 (2013). All our activities are conducted in accordance with international law and recognized standards.
We will for example work with Human Rights Defenders, Women’s Rights Activists, NGOs, Government officials and other key individuals that works against SGBV and for Women’s Empowerment, thus making themselves subject to, or at risk of, becoming victims of many types of threats and violence. We will also work with local Security Sector Actors to provide assistance, mentoring and training with the goal to support their own efforts in developing capacity and capability.
Another goal is to serve as a global role model for governments and security forces regarding the planning, execution and evaluation of security and risk management with respect to minimizing SGBV in conflict environments.
Differentiation and Unique Advantages
- We are backed by an experienced group consisting of the founders and advisers acknowledged and accepted by both the military system and the civilian society
- We are an organization of people that have the expertise and knowledge of the ways, ends and means to combat SGBV.
- We have the operating procedures, practices and capability that allow organised people, with knowledge and the right relationships, to turn words into action and
- We have long standing relationships with academia, International Organisations, NGOs, agencies and others that support the development of thinking and action in this field.